Tuesday 9 September 2014

Toastmasters International - 2nd Speech

Experience in CMS 

It was my first day in this college. I walked into the gate, extremely nervous, but excited. I wondered what it would be like. I hoped for an amazing day but was also prepared for a mediocre day. It was extremely intimidating to look around and find people in groups and small gangs chatting, laughing and looking very comfortable. I felt awkward until I found a few familiar faces –. Good morning Master toastmaster, evaluators, dear guests and my fellow toastmasters. I am going to talk about my experience in CMS so far.

Honestly, it has been nothing like I expected it to be. I have enjoyed these 1st few weeks a lot more than I anticipated. We started off with 2 weeks of a lengthy but useful orientation period. Some which I truly enjoyed and some not so much. However, it did help me make a smoother transition into college by the time regular classes began. It was during these 2 weeks that I got to know most of the class and spent a little time interacting and getting to know my classmates better – the ones that were present, at least. Once regular classes began, the focus shifted to subjects, teachers, assignments, deadlines, attendance and what not!

The one month of management and cultural fest team selections is the best experience one can go through. In terms of fun as well as learning, all the extra time that we spent in college was totally worth it! Then came the Fresher’s Day which was yet another superb experience. The entire class being a team and working towards victory really helped us in realizing the importance and power of unity and pride. I must say I truly enjoyed those evenings where we stayed back till late evening in college trying to finish our B-Plan. We racked our brains and exhausted our ideas and equally had our share of fun and laughter. Being media students our brain is not wired to come up with a ‘financial’ plan but none the less we had to! And oh boy! It was a tough task. We hate math for god’s sake!

Toastmasters is also a truly wonderful opportunity for me to get rid of my stage fear. The meets every Thursday never fail to surprise me, and hence I await them eagerly. The themes are fun, the speeches give me insights into my classmates and the interactivity helps everyone open up.

Coming to firsts… In CMS- oh no sorry, BMS... I wrote the 1st ever imposition in my life. It was the first time when watching a movie was actually a serious class. 1st time I discovered that 2 of my friends, at the peak of laughter can sound like donkeys who are suffocating and are about to die. It was the 1st time where nicknames like ‘KG kid’ and ‘Slumchild’ are considered prestigious. 1st time when “meet me after class” is scarier than any punishment. 1st time when taking attendance on a tab is the short-term ambition of everyone in class. 1sttime I made models using unimaginable materials including toilet paper. 1st time I took a selfie of the class, with the teacher, in the class. 1st time when intelligence, knowledge, performance and talent is given more importance than marks. 1st time when all the teachers are so friendly and approachable… the list is endless.

So dear classmates, here’s to many more firsts. Many more achievements. Much more learning and of course, a lot of fun. We’ve managed to stick together and do so much, but we still have a long way to go. There will be highs and lows but as long as we are there for each other, we can overcome every obstacle. So let us enjoy what we are doing and give it our best shot. Let’s make the best of all the time we have together during these 3 years. 
https://ssl.gstatic.com/ui/v1/icons/mail/images/cleardot.gif


Over to the MC

No comments:

Post a Comment